Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Whacky World Top Five Movie Soundtracks and Scores

Ever since I was a kid I've been a big fan of movie soundtracks and scores. Recently, with CDs getting a little less common, I've been trying to buy up this stuff while I can. So I was inspired to talk a little about my favorites.

Zombi/Dawn of the Dead - 1978
Not only the best zombie movie of all time, but my favorite movie of all time; Dawn of the Dead had one of the best scores of all time. Very progressive, this soundtrack by Goblin was an eclectic masterpiece. The opening track, L'alba dei morti viventi, is one of the strongest and spookiest pieces of music I have ever heard. It perfectly captures the feeling of the  zombie movie.




House of 1000 Corpses - 2003
Another of my favorite films with great music. Not only does the soundtrack album contain several original songs by Rob Zombie(including some of his best work), plus some great music of the 70s, it also includes parts of the score(by Zombie and Scott Humphrey) as well. Ranging from the Ramones to Slim Whittman, Zombie really hit the nail on the head with this one.


Zombie/Zombi II - 1979
As much as I love the Dawn of the Dead soundtrack, I think I like this unofficial sequel score by Fabio Frizzi  even more. The main title, is probably my favorite piece of score work ever made. Being that the movie has an underlying voodoo theme, the rest of the soundtrack has a nice and spooky voodoo vibe to it. Lots of voodoo drums and percussion.



Vampire Hunter D. - 1985
A classic score for the best animated movie of all time. At times its spooky, emotional, and downright epic. If you listen closely the opening title bears a strong resemblance to the Nightmare on Elm Street music. Though I think it is purely coincidence, being that the two films came out near the same time.



The Devil's Rejects - 2005
Zombie did it again with the soundtrack and score to the House of 1000 Corpses follow up. As much as I enjoy the score, I like the OST even more. Rather than doing original songs this time around, Zombie went with all stuff from the 70s or before. These are mostly songs you've heard before, but Zombie did such a good job of putting it all together and matching it with the scenes, there is a new life to all of them. Ranging from Allman Brothers to Terry Reid to Buck Owens, this soundtrack is a perfect sampling of the time. But the truly standout track is Free Bird by Lynryd Skynyrd. I've always though this was a great song, but Devil's Reject's managed to make it even more epic.






1 comment: