Friday, May 3, 2013

Rob Zombie - Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor


It's probably no secret that I am a Rob Zombie super fan. Even have a small hallway here at Voodoo Headquarters dedicated to nothing but Zombie stuff. I pretty much celebrate everything he does from music to writing to movies. He is even a fantastic artist that does NOT show off his skill nearly enough anymore. But all that being said, I dont follow him blindly. I've taken issue with a few things here and there over the years. Nothing major, mind you, just stuff I think could have been handed better. Ala his music videos from the last two albums.

Now, for the first time ever, I was somewhat worried about the coming of his new album. He had talked about Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor being a return to form and a mix of old and new. But I felt that is what he had done with Hellbilly Deluxe II. Though some of my favorite stand alone tracks are on other albums, Hellbilly II is over all my favorite release of his. Then came the first single from the album, Dead City Radio. Not a bad song by any means. Heck, even the worst Zombie song is better than most everyone else's music. But Dead City Radio was just fair. Had an almost B-Side quality to it. Usually, Zombie's first single is very strong. Often one of the strongest tracks on the album. So if Dead City Radio was the strongest material, it had me SUPER worried about what the rest would be.

Well, once again, Rob Zombie has not let me down at all. Dead City Radio is easily the weakest track on the CD. Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor truly is a fantastic mix of old and new. We have some killer super heavy tracks like Teenage Nosferatu Pussy and The Girl Who Loved the Monsters, some experimental stuff like Rock n Roll in a Black Hole, and some almost punky stuff like Trade in Your Guns for Coffins. I can see why White Zombie fans who have constantly whined about Zombie's solo stuff are digging this album. There are some very White Zombie moments throughout. There is also a very good cover of We're an American Band.

For me, the best two songs on the album are The Girl Who Loved the Monsters and Ging Gang Gong De Do Gong De Laga Raga. Both are heavy, energetic, and catchy as hell. I really hope for videos for these. And real videos too. Not just live footage compilations.

The liner notes are glossy and slammed full of cool images and artwork. Do yourself a favor and buy the CD or Record. Help take a stand against all this digital crap.






No comments:

Post a Comment