Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Aquabats! Super Show!



Probably the easiest way to get the Rob's attention, other than bikini girls, is to pull at my 70s and 80s nostalgia strings. Especially, with things I associate most with my childhood. And two of the things I most clearly do so with would be the Monkees TV series and Japanese rubber suit monster movies and TV shows. So wouldn't it be amazing if something were to come along that was a combination of both? My unrealized wish came true in the form of The Aquabats! Super Show!, a Saturday morning kids show that is equal parts the Monkees, Sentai Rangers, and the Banana Splits. The creators of the series, who also came up with Yo Gabba Gabba!, clearly had that 70s Saturday morning feel in mind when they came up with the show.

I had first heard of the Aquabats, who are an actual band, back in the 90s. I thought the idea of a band of super heroes was really cool. But because of bands like No Doubt and 311, I didn't want to give anything with the ska label a chance. So I just passed right over them without even listening. My mistake. The Aquabats are actually a fun, creative experimental rock band with a long running concept and cannon. Their sound is a bit like more rockin' Devo.

The show tells the story of a band of bumbling super heroes, who are also a band, who get into the weirdest situations and they usually end up battling a rubber suited monster. A running gag, especially in season two, is the establishing of a new and contradicting backstory each episode. And much like 70s kid shows, they show a cartoon at some point during each episode. And to give it even more of that Saturday morning feel, each episode has a fake commerical for some weird product by the fictional company Gloopy!

Keep in mind that the Aquabats! Super Show! is an all ages show. It's just light hearted, silly fun and a nice tribute to a time in the past. It's a simple humor, but sometimes simple is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment